Busy keeping up with your business? Don't worry – we've got you covered! Take a few minutes and catch up with happened this week in the world of self-employment.
IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK
The Office aired its final episode this week. Mashable takes a look back and uncovers 9 Management Lessons We Learned from Michael Scott.
If you sell products online, this is something you should keep an eye on. A law that would allow states to collect online sales tax is moving towards passing in the Senate.
The upcoming Google Glass has lit the web on fire. You’d be hard-pressed to go anywhere online without seeing something about them. If you haven’t been following the latest advances or updates on this new tech, here’s what you need to know:
- Google Glass: What You Need to Know
- Google Glass Review Roundup
- Facebook, Twitter, CNN, Elle, Evernote and Tumblr Apps Now on Google Glass
- Google Glass “Official” Site
- Congress Asks if Google Glass Will Be A Privacy Nightmare
The Internet has also been hit this week with a spectacular, viral meltdown of Amy’s Baking Company. This restaurant was featured on Gordon Ramsey’s season finale of Kitchen Nightmares. The owners were such a “nightmare” that Ramsey actually decided to quit working with them, making it the first time he has ever quit on a couple. To refute and prove that Gordon Ramsey judged them unfairly, the owners took to Facebook to launch an attack, setting the stage for a perfect lesson in what NOT to do when faced with criticism online. For a full breakdown of the events, you can read the story here.
Need to keep tabs on things, even when you’re away from the office? Then you might find the Resutly app just the ticket. Coined by TheNextWeb as a “Google Alerts for the whole Internet,” Resutly lets you set up alerts for just about anything you can imagine, and in real time. From news to travel prices and social media – the app can provide you updates on just about anything you may need.
When it comes to marketing your message, it isn’t necessarily the content of the message you are expressing, but rather the way the message is expressed. This video illustrates this point perfectly.
MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES OF THE WEEK
- “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other one thing.” –Abraham Lincoln
- “You’re not obligated to win. You’re obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day.” –Marian Wright Edelman
- “Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” –Lee Holz
- “I am always doing things I can’t do; that’s how I get to do them.” –Pablo Picasso
- “Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” –Vince Lombardi
LAUGH OF THE WEEK
Funny things entrepreneurs say…