Having the chance to have a work-at-home set up is divine for some people. The office vibe is not for all, especially for those who cannot sit in front of the computer for 8 or 9 hours long. Thus, many take a chance at this work at home set-up. However, it is important to understand that this is not for all. If not done properly, it may be difficult to thrive. One of the main obstacles is that since you have no strict “working hours” and you are your own boss, you tend to get lazy to the point that your day ends up without really accomplishing any work. That and some other problems may be encountered but don’t worry because in this article we will share tips to help you survive work at home set-up successfully.
1. Set up your own website – it is important to meet many people and potential clients when you are doing freelance works. It is advisable to set up your own website wherein you can publish your credentials, services offered and how to contact you. It is not really difficult to set up a website even for those who are not very techie. In fact, you can find a good website builder or go for any ready-made templates to create your site. This website will serve as your portfolio and virtual office where you accept guests who are willing to work with you.
2. Always have to-do lists – having flexible working hours is a bliss indeed but if you’re not careful, this can make you feel lazy. Before you know it, you’ve already finished 5 episodes of a new show on Netflix but all your work is still waiting in vain. So, it is best that you have to-do lists for your necessary daily or weekly accomplishments. This will serve as your guide and encouragement at the same time.
3. Work without distractions – during work hours, it is recommendable to stay away from all distractions like TV, phone, tablet and others. If it is time to work, put up that mean face and start excelling. You will surely finish early without any distractions. Now, if your work for the day is done then you can do other things that you like.
4. Arrange your working space neatly – it is recommendable to set up even a small place at home where you do your work. You should make this as neatly as possible so you can concentrate on working.
5. Always bring pocket wifi when you go out – lastly, for those who are more comfortable of doing work outside like in a coffee shop then it is best to always bring pocket wi-fi and chargers with you all the time. As long as you have your laptop and connected to the internet, you can do your work. You can also keep your computer at home open and access it remotely when you are outside.
It is important to have strong sense of self-control and focus if you want to thrive and succeed as freelancer. You do not have regular working hours to follow but still, you should make it a point to be productive in your day. Follow the tips that we discussed here so you can develop a healthy routine.